Sunday, February 15, 2015

Elisabeth's Recommended Reads


About Elisabeth:

I am the Public Services Coordinator here at the Kolwyck Library and Information Commons. I love my job because I get to be involved in so many aspects of library service, from reference to teaching to technology. I’m also the library liaison to Engineering Technology, most of the TCAT areas, Foreign Language, and many of the Social and Behavioral Science programs, including Psychology and Women’s Studies.

Reading has always been one of my favorite ways to escape, although with a five-month old baby I mostly read board books and nursery rhymes these days! When I do get a chance to read, I like compelling stories with memorable characters—nothing too heavy for me.

Recommended Books:


Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, Rick Bragg
This is the newest book by one of our 2015 Writers at Work authors. While reading this I had to keep searching YouTube so I could listen to and see for myself some of the legendary songs and performances Bragg writes about from the early days of rock and roll.

Cuckoo’s Calling, Robert Galbraith
I’m not a huge mystery fan, but I loved this one, which is written by J. K. Rowling under a pseudonym. I’m glad it is the first in a series because I’m looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
I haven’t seen the movie version of this book and I don’t plan to because it couldn’t possibly be as good as the book!

Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo
This title won the National Book Award among other honors and is much more serious than what I usually read, but it is worthwhile—a fascinating and eye-opening look at life in a slum in Mumbai, India.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, Therese Fowler
Great book about Zelda’s life during and after her marriage to F. Scott.

Check out some of my library resource guides:

 
Engineering Technology
SWRK 2010: Introduction to Social Work
PSYC 2120: Social Psychology
NP 215: Power Plant Chemistry

No comments: