Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sandra's Recommended Reads

About Sandra:

The latest twist in my 21 years in the Kolwyck Library and Information Commons is being an embedded librarian for the Nursing and Allied Health Division. As an embedded librarian, I enjoy customizing information and technological services for the N&AH students, faculty, and staff. In turn, this community becomes more aware and benefits from librarian expertise and library resources.

I also enjoy my role as library liaison for business and management students and faculty within the Business and Information Services Division and liaison for the TCAT health programs.

As a librarian, you won’t have much luck asking which fiction book you should read next. I came to librarianship via the path of information, not books. While I enjoy reading, I would never have guessed my life as a middle school math & science teacher would eventually lead to graduate school, four years as a corporate librarian, and now as an academic librarian teaching and providing research support to a wide range of students here at Chattanooga State.

In my spare time, I enjoy camping, paddling down the Hiwassee River, hiking, traveling, and being with friends.

Here are some of my LibGuides:

Study Smarter | Research Steps | Nursing | Business & Management | PT 104

Recommended Books:

1.
Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman New York Times Bestseller - Author’s lecture at Stanford University

2. Thinking in Pictures: And Other Reports from My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin 
“Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is a gifted animal scientist who has designed one-third of all the livestock-handling facilities in the United States. She also lectures widely on autism--because Temple Grandin is autistic, a woman who thinks, feels, and experiences the world in ways that are incomprehensible to the rest of us.” Source: Amazon Review 

3. New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander 
Watch the Bill Moyers interview, “Michelle Alexander: Locked out of the American Dream,” three years after the book’s publication.

4. 
A Sheltered Life: The Unexpected History of the Giant Tortoise by Paul Chambers
Fascinating glimpse of history and science.

No comments: