Friday, May 02, 2014

Farewell Interview with Mary Hixson

Starting this semester, we're going to highlight some of our outgoing student assistants through our new interview series. We'll highlight their successes and what they've learned on the job.


Mary Hixson, one of our wonderful student assistants for the last two years, is graduating and transferring to UTC! Mary excelled at customer service and at the Student Technology Help Desk. We're sad to see her go, but are thrilled to have had her on our team. Congratulations!

1. How long have you worked at the library and what was your favorite part of the job?
I have worked for the library since the fall of 2012, my favorite part of the job has always been helping students solve their IT issues because it gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that I helped something click.

2.
What’s the greatest lesson or skill you’ve learned while working as a student assistant?
The greatest skill I have learned since working as a student assistant is asking the correct questions and listening well for the answers.

3.
What advice do you have for students interested in working in the library?
If you are interested in working in the library, my advice would be to brush up on customer service skills. Active listening is very important in assisting students with IT issues. The staff in the library is friendly and helpful, and they have really made my tenure as a student assistant enjoyable and instructive.
 

4. What are your plans now that you’re leaving Chattanooga State?
Now that I am graduating, I am looking forward to taking classes to finish my bachelors degree in Environmental Science at UTC. I think Chattanooga State has helped prepare me for the next couple of years. I do intend to spend time at the Chattanooga State Library even after my graduation, it is a magnificent facility to study in as well as work in.

Think you might be interested in working at KLIC? Stop by the library's Public Services desk and ask for an application. We're looking for new student assistants to start July 1, 2014.

No comments: