Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Lori Warren – The Stars at KLIC: The Journey Story of Our Staff


By Lori Warren, Library Coordinator of Marketing and Outreach

It may be hard to believe that anyone would beg to go to school at the age of three, but I did. My love of learning, my eagerness to find out why people do the things they do and my captivation with stories, picture books and illustrations have been at the core of my path to the position I hold today.

I loved to draw, paint, sew, and create imaginary places and storylines. In addition to school, another one of my favorite places to go was to the library. I participated in summer reading programs every summer as a kid. I hate being bored. Books and crafts still keep me entertained.

My multitude of jobs have included camp counselor, babysitter, preschool assistant, fashion retail clerk (dressing customers and windows), graphic designer, Lancôme make-up artist, DJ, Coke- a- Cola Girl (Pepsi vs Coke challenge promotion), preschool teacher, Zany Brainy Event and Bookstore Coordinator, Children’s Librarian, High School Librarian and Academic Librarian.

I’ve enjoyed all of these positions. They have given me wonderful opportunities to be creative and to share skills and insights with students of all ages. I believe in supporting students, co-workers and my community. Amazing things have occurred with every step of my journey.

I’ve hosted and planned events for children attending the Olympic Games in Atlanta. I planned art lessons and worked on both grand opening parades for the Tennessee Aquarium. I’ve volunteered for the public library by face-painting and teaching arts and crafts.  I hosted and planned a Read-A-Loud program which featured acclaimed storyteller Jim Trelease.  I currently assist with Chattanooga State events and have met world renowned guests such as Ishmael Reed, Rick Bragg, Inky Johnston, Michio Kako, and Adam Braun.
 
With every job and every event I embrace, come more layers of educational achievement. My love of art, design and fashion led to my first degree, a BFA in Graphic Design. My second degree, a double major in Early Childhood and Elementary Education complimented my love of teaching and story times. My Masters in Information Science allows me to present programs and develop library events and instruction at every level, Kindergarten through College.  Technology and Knowledge grow exponentially, like young minds. I like to think about it as the circle of an educated life.

Lori’s Campus & Community Service:
•    Professional Staff Association: 2014-2015 President, 2013-2014 Pres.-Elect, 2012-2013 Communications Officer.
•    ChSCC Technology Advisory Committee: 8 years - Secretary
•    Chattanooga Public Library Volunteer (25+ years)
•    Girl Scout Leader (6 years…Daisy to Cadets)
•    Upward Soccer Coach (6 years…Started out as the Team Mom)
•    Vacation Bible School Teacher (Just once but it was fun)
•    Walker/Bradley County Gear UP (3 Years)

No comments: