Sunday, September 21, 2014

Brittany's Recommended Reads

About Brittany:

I’ve been at KLIC for over a year now as the Coordinator of Library Instruction and I love my job! There is always something new and exciting to work on with our students and faculty here at Chattanooga State. Most of my work involves teaching students how to do research and creating learning objects to help teach research skills to our online students. I am also liaison to English, Speech, and Reading courses. There are lots of English classes doing research—so this definitely keeps me busy! My husband and I (and our two lovable mutts) have lived in Chattanooga for three years now. We purchased and renovated a 1920 craftsman house, which was lots of fun and work. When we aren't restoring houses I like to garden, knit, make music, travel, and sometimes read. I say sometimes because most of the time I am too busy to read (bad librarian, I know). It wasn't reading, however, that made me interested in becoming a librarian. It was my love of research. I enjoy the treasure hunt of finding the right resources to meet an information need.
 

You can check out some of my best Research and Subject Guides here:
 

Foreign Language: http://libguides.chattanoogastate.edu/foreignlanguage
Literary Research: http://libguides.chattanoogastate.edu/literaryresearch 

Writers at Work 2015: http://libguides.chattanoogastate.edu/writersatwork2015

Brittany's Recommended Reads:

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
My favorite book of all time, I never get tired of reading it!

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
I love classic books, and anything having to do with history, so this is one of my favorite!

3. Research Strategies: Finding Your Way Through the Information Fog by William Badke

I am passionate about students having the ability to find the information they need. This book has practical tips for locating and using quality sources.

4. Brain Games for Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith
We love our dogs! I think the key to having a well behaved dog is training, exercise, and challenging dogs mentally. Our dogs are very smart (Australian Shepherds) and actually enjoy solving puzzles!

5. Perennial Garden Design by Michael King
I really enjoy both vegetable and flower gardening, but I am a beginner! I also grow almost exclusively perennial flowers—who wants to plant annuals every year!! Books like this one have helped me in my gardening escapades.

6. Hidden History of Chattanooga by Alexandra Walker Clark
Interesting book on Chattanooga history! The rich history of our area is one of my favorite things about this town.

No comments: