Here's how it should work:
1. We buy books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, and CDs so you don't have to.
2. You check them out to use for a few days or a few weeks.
3. We tell you when you should return them (by August 10) so others can use them, too. (Remember how you learned to share in kindergarten? Still works.)
4. You return them on on before the due date.
5. We check them in, and everybody's happy.
Here's how it sometimes works:
1. Same as above.
2. Same as above.
3. Same as above.
4. You don't return them by the end of the semester--August 10.
5. Your grades and transcripts are held until you DO return them.
To avoid the consequences mentioned in #5 above, just bring back whatever you borrowed by the last day of classes (August 10), and no harm will come to you or your family AND no late fees will be charged.
Should you fail to accomplish your mission, just bring the stuff back when you remember it, and we'll give you the infamous CLEAR SLIP that you take to the Bursar's Office for the ultimate forgiveness and erasure of your hold.
REMEMBER: It's all up to you, so do the right thing and all will be well.
See you by August 10th!!